Sunday, October 4, 2009

Carrots and Green Beans and Squash Oh MY!!!

I decided to make Cole homemade baby food...wow - now that was a task I was not ready for. Dan and I went to the store and bought fresh fruits and veggies (a few frozen veggies due to the nitrates). We spent $250 on all of the produce (and the donuts we bought for ourselves...we are still "working" on eating better). We brought it all home and the process began.
I was lucky that my mom and dad "volunteered" to help me on this crazy adventure. Dad played with Cole while mom and I cooked, steamed, and processed our little hearts away. We got a really good system going - I would prep and cook (whatever that entailed) and mom would use her mega food processor to puree the food and then she would put it in the ice cube trays. I would then cover it up and put it in the freezer. At one time we had about 40 trays in the freezer - we had to finish freezing a few things this morning because we were out of trays and out of room.
Veggies : Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach
Fruits: Applesauce, Pears, Peaches, Plums, Avocado, Papaya, Mango, Blueberries
I tried everything of course - totally loving all of the fruits (except I thought the avocado needed some salsa). The veggies are so bland - I would definitely add some flavor to them for me, but I know Cole gets the boring version for now. I gave him a lick of the avocado yesterday because I was so curious to see his face and he loved it. He has only been eating rice and oatmeal cereal so far, so I think it was a new fun taste. I really don't think he is going to be too much of a picky eater - he swallows oral vaccines and Tylenol like it is the best stuff ever - but we shall see.
I read somewhere that it often takes a baby 15-20 tries to truly decide if he/she likes something, so we have lots of time and lots of frozen cubes to decide.
I'm tired and I know my parents are too - but I also know it will be healthier and really if you get down to it - cheaper for us. I can't wait to see his reaction today to his first "real" food...Acorn Squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment